A perennial favorite in my house, it always gets gobbled right up. I could eat a batch of this by myself for dinner.
This recipe makes 10-12 servings. Although I call for Parmesan or Romano cheeses, you can use just about any type of cheese you want. Cheddar always makes a good dip, and Fontina makes a really mild dip that goes well with lighter flavored crackers. I use white pepper in all my recipes, as it provides the flavor without so much of the bitter taste so common in peppery recipes, but it’s all a matter of taste. Make it your own!
1 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed*
1 14-oz can/jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 cup shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
10 ounces Alfredo sauce**
1 tsp minced garlic
4 oz cream cheese, softened
Pinch ground white pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and spread the mixture into an 8×8 glass or ceramic baking dish.***
3. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
4. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving (to avoid burning your mouth as you chow down on the cheesy goodness!).
* You can also use fresh spinach steamed to wilting, but it’s much more time consuming and I don’t think it changes the taste that much.
** You can use either the kind that comes in a jar or any of the brands that you can find in the fresh pasta section at most supermarkets.
*** If you are making a larger batch, use a larger pan, i.e., a 9×13 lasagne pan.