The so-called fight or flight reaction is an excellent one to have in life or death situations, but in our modern life, the stress reaction is not usually accompanied by the need for heightened physical response.
Unfortunately, many of us are so consistently stressed that our bodies are continuously and needlessly flooded with adrenaline and other hormones, which taxes our nervous systems and drains our immune systems, thereby making us susceptible to a range of physical and psychological ailments. Insomnia, heart disease, anxiety, depression; all have links to constant and unchecked stress.
Cultivating deliberate calm in your life can make an appreciable difference to your emotional and physical well being. There are many ways to cultivate more calm, but no matter how you do it, the benefits are huge and can make a real difference in your life.
Here are the ten biggest benefits of having more calm in your life:
1. Calm makes you feel happier in general.
2. Calm helps restore both good health and energy levels.
3. Calm raises mental acuity and increases concentration.
4. Calm inspires you to create and to enjoy yourself.
5. Calm helps you develop your intuition or learn to listen to it again.
6. Calm slows down the physical and mental aging processes.
7. Calm helps you connect with yourself and build better relationships with others.
8. Calm enables you to relax, let go, and rejuvenate.
9. Calm increases your capacity for hope, forgiveness, and compassion.
10. Calm allows you to spend more time on what is important to you.
So spend some time cultivating calm – emotional brain training, cognitive behavioral therapy, yoga, mediation, whatever is best for you – and make a real difference in your life.